Turkey isn’t just for Christmas – try this recipe and see!
- 1 large whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 500g coarse salt
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 250ml dry white wine
- Rub the turkey inside and out with the coarse salt. Place the bird in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Place in the fridge, and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Thoroughly rinse the turkey, and discard the brine mixture.
- Brush the turkey with 1/2 the melted butter. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting tin. Stuff the turkey cavity with 1 onion, 1/2 the carrots, 1/2 the celery, 1 sprig of thyme and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting tin, and cover with the white wine.
- Roast uncovered 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 74 degrees C. Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time, and brush with the remaining butter. Allow the bird to stand about 30 minutes before carving.