Turkey isn’t just for Christmas – try this recipe and see!
- 1 large whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 500g coarse salt
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 250ml dry white wine
- Rub the turkey inside and out with the coarse salt. Place the bird in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Place in the fridge, and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Thoroughly rinse the turkey, and discard the brine mixture.
- Brush the turkey with 1/2 the melted butter. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting tin. Stuff the turkey cavity with 1 onion, 1/2 the carrots, 1/2 the celery, 1 sprig of thyme and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting tin, and cover with the white wine.
- Roast uncovered 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 74 degrees C. Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time, and brush with the remaining butter. Allow the bird to stand about 30 minutes before carving.
Please like us and join our mailing list for special offers & recipes